In most of the babies, the only symptom they experience when teething are increased drooling and an urge to chew on all objects within reach. For others, the process of the teeth cutting through the gums is very uncomfortable, causing crankiness and sleep problems.
Contrary to popular belief, teething does not usually cause fever and diarrhea. If your baby develops these symptoms, it is wise to look for other causes.
Signs and Symptoms that should be treated immediately
- Place several teething rings in the refrigerator. An icy cold teething ring may soothe sore gums.
- Give the baby acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tempra or a generic) to relieve pain.
- Aspirin should never be given to children or adolescents.
- If the baby is old enough, offer slices of frozen fruits such as bananas and apples to chew.
- Symptoms of illness such as diarrhea or fever in addition to symptoms of teething.
- Self-care steps do not relieve discomfort after 7 days.